Hi everyone! This morning I wanted to make something a little different than my usual bowl of oats for breakfast, so I whipped up some carrot cake inspired pancakes. Naturally I posted them on Snapchat once they were finished, and instantly received messages asking how to make them.
This was more an experimental recipe, so I didn’t document the process with pictures on how they’re made like I normally do. However, I figured since it was such a simple recipe I could get away with just showing you the final result! The grated carrot adds Vitamin C and antioxidants, and combined with cinnamon and vanilla makes the pancakes feel like dessert.
They’re also layered with greek yogurt that reminds me of the tangy-ness of cream cheese frosting on a perfect slice of carrot cake! The best part is that they’re great for you, contain healthy fats, protein, and are very filling. Oh, and they don’t look too bad either 🙂
Nourishing Carrot Cake Pancakes (one serving)
- 1 egg
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/3 cup oatmeal (I used Trader Joe’s ancient grains and super seed oatmeal. It has almonds, quinoa flakes, oats, flax, and all kinds of good stuff!)
- 1 large carrot, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Optional: Greek yogurt and maple syrup to serve
- In a bowl combine all ingredients except greek yogurt.
- Heat a skillet to medium-low heat, and melt a little coconut oil/ghee/butter. Drop large spoonfulls of batter onto the skillet, and cook for a few minutes until lightly browned.
- Flip pancakes, cook for another couple of minutes until golden on the other side, and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- To serve layer pancakes with greek yogurt, sprinkle with cinnamon, and drizzle with a little real maple syrup. Enjoy!